Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Begumpura Exploration Retreat - Draft Agenda from Mandy

Primary Objective: Determine who is in (and not) for the next phase(s)

To achieve this objective, we need to:
Get to know each other, and,
Begin to characterize what Begumpura is and will be

To accomplish this, what questions do we need to answer?
1 – who are we as individuals? As people and as professionals?
2 – what are the basic values or spiritual underpinnings that will guide us?
3 – what are we actually going to DO together - what does this look like in action?

Suggested Timeline

Day 1 – focus on our "inner game." Get to know one another. Aim to arrive at a collective set of values or principles that will guide our actions.
Day 2 – focus on our "outer game." Who are our clients and how do we help them? What services will we offer?
Day 3 – focus on community/organization and next steps. How will we work together? Who's doing what?

Additional Thoughts

We should each plan on doing some preparation prior to the retreat. This may involve writing, answering questions, filling out online surveys, or reading articles. The aim is to come well prepared, having thought in advance about what each of the key questions means to us as individuals.

We need to bear in mind that initial meeting is only a first pass and is meant to be iterative. We definitely won't get all the answers in three short days. We should expect to reach a few critical high-level conclusions at the retreat, and then do further work to continue clarifying and fleshing out the details over the coming months.

The agenda is ambitious. We need to leave time to breathe, process, digest, and develop relationships. Ample breaks, open space, and unscheduled time should be built into the schedule. We'll need time to just relax together and play.

To help us adjust our plans & conversations on the fly, let's build in a regular check-in – once or twice a day – to answer these questions:
- On a scale of 1-10, how ready are you to join forces with Begumpura?
- What concerns need to be addressed to make it a 10 for you?

---------
Sartaj and I have discussed specific activities for each day, but before I share those suggestions, I'd like to gather some feedback on how this basic structure looks. What aspects do you agree with? What seems to be missing? I'll post the specific agenda ideas in a day or two. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mandy

2 comments:

Neeraj Bhagat said...

Great Agenda, Mandy and Sartaj. I love the high-level structure. Since I don't have anything constructive to add directly, I'd like to offer what's coming up for me as I ponder the questions you've laid out.

Q1A. (Level 1 stuff). Who am I in this group? How (authentic) am I being? Do I belong/fit? What value do/might I add (what do/might I bring )? I suspect we're all asking these questions in some way so why not put it out there.

Q3A. (Level 3 stuff). Somewhere, I think we need to get a pulse of what each of us thinks is needed/wanted in the world and that we may offer (i.e., a marketer might say it as what does the market need)?

Q3B. Also, very simply, "what's wanting to emerge from this group?"

Some possible questions (pre-work?):

Q. If Begumpura was hugely successful (a 10, on a 1-10 scale), what would that look like to you? What would be your ideal role in that success? (Possible future state visualization?)

Q. If Begumpura ends up a spectacular failure in your eyes, what would that look like? What caused it to fail? What is the impact to you of that failure?

Hope that helps in some way.

Neeraj

P.S. I'm assuming that you'll include some body work / light exercise and a spiritual ritual or medidation in the morning. If not, then I would suggest we add that.

Gary said...

Hi, Mandy -

Here are some things that come to mind in advance of your posting yours and Sartaj's more fine-grained structure for each day.

As pre-work, perhaps we can conduct an on-line discussion of specific "conditions of satisfaction"
for our 3 days together. A review of that might be the first topic on Day 1.

Second, I would expect that each of us we come with some fairly clear understanding of the conditions of satisfaction would would require of Begumpura for us to commit to it. This might also be something to share toward to beginning of the program.


Gary